As you know so well, our mission here at Maybelle Center is to create a warm and welcoming community for our neighbors in Old Town and Downtown Portland. Many of the individuals we assist are experiencing extreme loneliness and progressive health problems that come from living in prolonged social isolation.
Here are some of the ways that Maybelle Center made a difference in their lives this year with the help of more than 150 volunteers and nearly 500 donors.
- For starters, we launched our choir! The Maybelle Community Singers performed several times this year including at our founder’s 80th birthday party. They were also featured in a wonderful KGW-TV story.
- We started a sewing group, held retreats for both men and women, expanded our arts and crafts offerings, and hosted more members in our community room than ever before! We also took nearly a hundred people on our annual Wildwood trip to the mountain. Read more about these activities and many other stories on our blog and on our Facebook page.
- Thanks to many of you, our visitation program has continued to grow and are now serving more buildings in our community! We continue to be very focused on growing this program and will be adding a dedicated volunteer coordinator in January to help us do that. We need volunteers! If you, or someone you know, would be interested in becoming a volunteer, let us know.
- We changed our name! We’re so pleased to now carry the beautiful and unmistakable first name of one of our earliest and strongest supporters, Maybelle Clark Macdonald.
- As we near the end of 2016, our members enjoyed the warmth of the season surrounded by caring staff and volunteers. Our friends at Boeing hosted their annual holiday party in our assisted living facility, Macdonald Residence. We also had a wonderful group of student-athletes from the University of Oregon help us distribute gifts to our members out in the neighborhood. You can see pictures of the Boeing party and read about this year’s visit by the student-athletes.
These are but a few examples of our year here at Maybelle Center. We are grateful to everyone who helped us make this possible through their generous gifts and countless volunteer hours. Thank you and warmest wishes for the holidays and for a happy 2017.