Maybelle Center is seeking a highly motivated, qualified person to fill the position of Community Outreach Coordinator. The Coordinator’s role is to manage the Visitation program and the Center’s community outreach by building relationships with people who live close to our Center in Old Town/Downtown Portland in low income apartments and single room occupancy hotels (SROs). The Coordinator welcomes these neighbors to the Maybelle Center community where they can share weekly visits with volunteers, attend social activities, participate in arts and music events, join small groups of members (clients) with similar interests, and develop and experience other community building activities that help them avoid the isolation they might otherwise experience.
- Manage the Visitation Program (60%) and coordinate community outreach (40%) as described in the following sections.
- Based on the Center’s Strategic Plan, develop and monitor progress towards annual program goals and objectives.
- Supervise volunteers and provide onsite training as needed.
- Conduct ongoing quality assurance practices and implement efforts to improve program effectiveness and outcomes.
- Effectively manage various administrative program projects.
- Generate monthly and periodic reporting.
Outreach and Growth
- Conduct and/or coordinate various outreach activities on behalf of the Center including outreach to housing partners, social service providers, and individuals who live in low income housing in Downtown/Old Town Portland.
- Coordinate and develop large and small social engagement and community building activities, such as the annual member holiday party and summer picnic.
- In collaboration with Volunteer and Education Coordinators, develop and execute strategies for growth and community building.
- Participate in new and equitable initiatives with community members.
Direct Service to Members (Clients)
- Identify potential new members, and conduct basic intake and member screening following established eligibility criteria.
- Maintain communication with members enrolled in the visitation program and address any challenges that may arise while in the program.
- Provide backup for other program activities as needed.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with and outreach to apartment/hotel managers, residence services coordinators, community agencies, health organizations and other community partners.
- Participate in and support Center activities.
- Coordinate with Education Coordinator and Volunteer Coordinator in matching members with student or volunteer visitors. Manage member referrals to Support Services and address any urgent issues that may arise.
- Maintain ongoing communication with members about events, programs and their relationship with Maybelle Center.
- Develop and produce a monthly member focused newsletter. Contribute to the volunteer newsletter and other Maybelle Center media materials and publications.
- Adhere to all policies and procedures; maintain strict confidentiality and professional boundaries.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, community development preferred, but will consider equivalent education, training and/or experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skill and ability to perform the functions of the position.
- Minimum two to four years work experience in social services, community outreach or community health.
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred.
- Trained/Experienced in Assertive Engagement and Trauma Informed practices highly desired
- Commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Motivation and desire to address problems of social justice, urban poverty and community health.
- Experience working with individuals challenged with chronic mental illness and addictions preferred.
- Strong computer skills using Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.). Working knowledge of Salesforce and Volgistics or similar programs.
- Must be self-directed, able to work both independently and in a team, and to take direction when given.
- Good attention to details and highly organized.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Valid Driver’s License and a good driving record
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds
- Sufficient mobility on foot or with assistance for up to one mile in the community
- Ability to pass background check
Compensation and Benefits:
Pay Range: $3,300 – $3,600 per month; fully paid medical, dental and vision insurance for employee; flexible spending account; employer matching contribution to Simple IRA retirement fund; employer paid life and disability insurance; vacation, sick leave and holidays; parking or bus pass paid.
How to apply:
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Resumes accepted until position is filled.
Maybelle Center is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or any other protected characteristic.